Sail and Power Courses
America’s #1 Sail and Power Cruising School
Offshore Sailing School is the longest running sailing education company in the United States. It was founded in 1964 by Olympian, America’s Cup competitor and National Sailing Hall of Fame inductee, Steve Colgate, when no other sailing schools and no certification programs existed.
Over more than 55 years, Steve Colgate and his team, have fine-tuned his original course roster, and added a progressive group of additional sailing courses that are not available from other sailing educators at the expertise level provided by Offshore Sailing School.
Steve and Doris Colgate’s Offshore Sailing School has empowered more than 150,000 adults and their families to learn how to sail, learn how to cruise sailboats and powerboats, and race sailboats. The Colgate sailing enthusiasm permeates throughout the company, as explained in the latest video interview with Steve and Doris Colgate.
Most Offshore Sailing School (OSS) courses come with US Sailing (USAA) Certification. Those that do not reach far beyond any certification programs. Below is a list of all the courses that OSS offers, and the designated course numbers and certifications for each where applicable.
OSS 101 – Learn to Sail
This sailing 101 course is taught on Colgate 26 (26 feet in length) keelboats with outboard engines that are high performance, very safe, fast and won’t tip over. USSA Basic Keelboat Certification earned.
OSS 102 – Performance Sailing
Taught on Colgate 26 (26′) keelboats in 3 full days or five half-days formats, covering advanced safety techniques and go-fast skills. USSA Performance Sailing Certification earned.
OSS 103/104 – Live Aboard Cruising on Monohulls
Taught on 43′-50′ cruising monohulls and 40′-48′ cruising catamarans in a six full-day format. USSA Basic Cruising and USSA Bareboat Cruising Certification earned in this one course, with USSA Catamaran Endorsement if taking course on a catamaran. The USSA Bareboat Cruising Certification enables you to apply for US Sailing’s International Proficiency Certification (IPC) which is required to charter a sail or powerboat in many Mediterranean destinations.
OSS 103/104/114 – Live Aboard Cruising on Catamarans
Taught on 40′-48′ cruising catamarans in a six full-day format. USSA Basic Cruising and USSA Bareboat Cruising Certification earned in this one course, with USSA Catamaran Endorsement if taking course on a catamaran. The USSA Bareboat Cruising Certification enables you to apply for US Sailing’s International Proficiency Certification (IPC) which is required to charter a sailing yacht or power yacht in many Mediterranean destinations.
OSS 101/103/104 – Fast Track to Cruising on Monohull Yachts
The ultimate ready-to-cruise course taught in eight full days, with first two days (OSS 101) on the Colgate 26, and the next six days (OSS 103/104) on a 43′-50′ cruising monohull, All three USSA Certifications including USSA Basic Keelboat (101), USSA Basic Cruising (103), and USSA Bareboat Cruising (104) are earned in this one course over an 8-day period. The USSA Bareboat Cruising Certification enables you to apply for US Sailing’s International Proficiency Certification (IPC) which is required to charter a sailing yacht or power yacht in many Mediterranean and other destinations abroad.
OSS 101/103/104/114 – Fast Track to Cruising on Catamarans
This comprehensive ready-to-cruise catamaran course is taught in eight full days, with first two days (OSS 101) on the Colgate 26, and the next six days (OSS 103/104/114) on a 40′-48′ cruising catamaran, Three USSA Certifications earned include USSA Basic Keelboat (101), USSA Basic Cruising (103), and USSA Bareboat Cruising (104) plus USSA Catamaran Endorsement (114). The USSA Bareboat Cruising Certification enables you to apply for US Sailing’s International Proficiency Certification (IPC)which is required to charter a sail or powerboat in many Mediterranean and other destinations abroad.
OSS 105 – Coastal Navigation
Taught in two full days ashore, with home study, and many elements included in OSS 101, OSS 102, and OSS 103/104 courses. USSA Coastal Navigation Certification earned.
OSS 106 – Coastal Passage Making
Taught on a 43′-50′ monohull, covering all you need to know to start cruising long distances in coastal waters. USSA Coastal Passage Making Certification earned.
OSS 105/106 – Fast Track to Coastal Passage Making
Starts with the two-day Coastal Navigation course (OSS 105) described above while staying ashore, then continues with the six-day Coastal Passage Making course (OSS 106) as you learn to stand watches, navigate long distances, and more. USSA Coastal Navigation and USSA Coastal Passage Making Certifications earned.
OSS 107 – Celestial Navigation
A really fun course, taught in four full days while staying ashore, learning to use a sextant, plot courses by sun and moon. USSA Celestial Navigation Certification earned.
OSS 108 – Offshore Passage Making
A wow course that takes you out of sight of land over a six day period, sailing into the night, standing watches, and more. Taught on 43′-50′ monohulls. USSA Offshore Passage Making Certification earned.
OSS 107/108 – Fast Track to Offshore Passage Making
A super-combo course, taught in 10 full days, with the first four days ashore for Celestial Navigation (OSS 107), and six full days on a 43′-50′ monohull as described above. USSA Celestial Navigation and USSA Offshore Passage Making Certification earned in this one course.
OSS 109 – Performance Race Week
An incredibly intense course taught in seven full days on Colgate 26 keelboats. This is the “boot camp” of sailboat racing instruction, with North U. coaches and OSS instructors working with you throughout the week. Performance Racing Certificate issued with this course.
OSS 102/109 – Fast Track to Performance Racing
Taught in 10 full days, all on Colgate 26 keelboats. Performance Sailing (OSS 102) takes up the first three days, followed by the seven-day Performance Race Week course described above. USSA Performance Sailing Certification earned for the first three days, certificates earned fort Performance Race Week.
OSS 112 – Fast Track to Power Cruising
Taught on spacious 37′-48′ power catamarans in six full days format. USSA US Powerboating Certification earned.
OSS 114 – Catamaran Cruising Endorsement
This is currently not a stand alone course because it is totally included in the Live Aboard Cruising Course (103/104/114) and Fast Track to Cruising Courses (101/103/104/114) described above. When you take the Fast Track to Cruising Course on a Catamaran (101, 103, 104, 114), the first two days are learning the basics on a fast and fun Colgate 26 while staying ashore, and the next six days are totally aboard a beautiful 40′ to 48′ cruising catamaran.
Why Did We Skip Some Numbers?
We’ve got a couple of BIG surprises coming, so stay tuned!
“A doctor and avid sailor highly recommended the Colgate school and said if we were going to do it then we should do it right! Offshore Sailing School was a tremendous experience that provided a whole new world of opportunities for us to explore. This was an investment in the future and now our future is unlimited!”
888-454-7015 or 239-454-1700
SAILING – Good for You. Good for the World!™
- OSS 101 – Learn To Sail Certification Courses: 2 full-day and 5 half-day courses on a Colgate 26 takes you through intermediate level with Colgate sailing school
- OSS 101/103/104 plus 114 – Fast Track To Cruising®: This most popular sailing course takes you from couch to captain’s chair on a Colgate 26 and 40′-48′ cruising catamaran and 43′-50′ monohull yachts, and prepares you for big sailboat cruising in one week
- OSS 112 – Fast Track to Powerboat Cruising: Gives you charter-ready confidence and skills to handle a twin engine power catamaran in five days, whether or not you have previous boating experience
- OSS 101/103/104 and OSS 105/106 – Colgate Accelerated Sail Training: “COAST” takes you from beginner to passage maker in one year with Fast Track to Cruising and Fast Track to Passage Making Courses
- Sailing Lessons: 2-hour sailing clinics on Colgate 26
- Online Learn to Sail Course: Sailing classes that teach our Learn to Sail Certification Courses with videos, interactive diagrams and quizzes in a classroom setting.
- OSS 101/103/104 – Fast Track To Cruising®: Our most popular course combines 2-days learning or renewing basic skills on a Colgate 26 with 5 or 6 days on 43′ to 50′ cruising monohulls or catamarans
- OSS 103/104 – Live Aboard Cruising Courses: 6 days living aboard while sailing from port to port, learning skills to handle cruising monohulls or catamarans up to 50’
- OSS 103/104 – Bareboat Charter Certification Courses: 5-days learning skills to handle monohulls or catamarans up to 50’ while sleeping ashore at the resort each night
- OSS 103/104 – Catamaran Cruising Courses: Any of the courses listed above, taught on 39′ to 48′ catamarans, with additional special catamaran endorsement skills
- OSS 102 – Performance Sailing: 5-day course on Colgate 26 covering go-fast sailing techniques and advanced safety exercises
- OSS 102/109 – Fast Track to Performance Racing: Combines an accelerated 3-day Performance Sailing course with our acclaimed 6-day Performance Race Week
- OSS 105 – Coastal Navigation: 4-day 20-hour classroom course
- OSS 109 – Performance Race Week: 6 days high intensity coaching and racing aboard Colgate 26 sailboats with North U. director and coaches
- OSS 105/106 – Fast Track to Coastal Passage Making: 2 days of coastal navigation review while staying ashore, then 6 days of at least 50 miles of coastal sailing with night sailing on big catamarans and monohulls
- OSs 107/108 – Fast Track Offshore Passage Making: The final course in the US Sailing Certification program, 4 days of celestial navigation classes ashore, then 6 days of open water sailing, logging 600 miles, 250 of which are 50 miles from shore
- OSS 112 – Fast Track to Power Cruising: 6 days learning to handle a big power catamaran, with skills to start bareboat cruising on powerboats
- Team Building and Leadership Programs: Half-day, full-day, week-long programs for business professionals and universities
- Family Courses: Available with most beginner and Intermediate course options
- Tweens and Teens Learn Free: Up to 3 kids learn free with one or two adults in our 5-day Learn to Sail Course
- Girlfriend Getaways: Learn to Sail and Cruising Courses for women, taught by women
Everything is first class. Offshore delivers a value proposition – excellent value for the price paid and instruction received. The books, the instructor, the hotel classroom, the location and the boat were all first class and well worth the money and time spent.”
Tom Bisanz – Frisco, TX
888-454-7015 or 239-454-1700