The Offshore Advantage
Why We are America’s #1 Sailing School — Celebrating 58 Years!
Offshore Sailing School is owned and operated by Steve and Doris Colgate. Their dedication to delivering the very best sailing education, in environments that make learning fun and rewarding, keep all of us at Offshore Sailing School passionately engaged. The photo above was taken in September 2018 during our annual Offshore U retreat, at South Seas Island Resort on Captiva Island, Florida. No other sailing school in the world has leaders with such vast experience in sailing and sailing education, or such dedicated employees at all levels in the company, making Offshore Sailing School one of the best sailing schools in the world, according to our many student testimonials. The Colgates are the inspiration and driving force behind Offshore Sailing School’s very high standards and exceptional reputation.
Contact Us Today!
888-454-7015 or 239-454-1700
“Colgate is truly the best of the best sailing school. Everything is first class. Colgate delivers a value proposition – an excellent value for the price paid, instruction and instructional environment received. The books, the instructor, the classroom, the location and the boat were all first class! And well worth the money and time spent.”
Thomas Bisanz – Frisco, TX
Our Value Proposition: Reputation, Quality, Professionalism, Educational Expertise
- Our founder and Chairman, Steve Colgate – Educator, author, creator of the award-winning Colgate 26, Olympian and America’s Cup sailor and 2015 National Sailing Hall of Fame Inductee; with seven decades of sailboat racing success and cruising miles on boats ranging from dinghies to maxis
- Our President and Chief Executive Officer, Doris Colgate – Founded the National Women’s Sailing Association and Women’s Sailing Foundation, author, passionate sailor, industry spokesperson and perfectionist
- Our professional teaching faculty – Full-time employees who hold Coast Guard licenses and US Sailing instructor certifications, dedicated to delivering the exceptional quality of our courses, with vast cruising and racing experience, and profound ability to communicate and teach
- Our boats – The award-winning ultimate trainer, the Colgate 26, designed by Steve Colgate and Jim Taylor for training, performance handling ease, and ergonomic comfort; and beautiful cruising boats chosen for performance and comfort; all maintained to the highest standards by a dedicated fleet manager.
- Our course curricula and classroom teaching aides – Developed by Steve Colgate and continuously fine-tuned for each course level, followed closely by instructors to ensure we deliver consistent training at all locations onboard and in our classrooms
- Our unique textbooks – Written by Steve and Doris Colgate, published by McGraw-Hill, painstakingly written to give our clients the very best preparation for each course in our syllabus
- Our diversity of sail and power courses – No other sailing school has the breadth of courses provided by Offshore Sailing School, for beginners to passage makers, sailboat racers and power boaters
- Our dedicated sales team – Knowledgeable, friendly and caring, who know our courses and locations well, and work with clients during and after business hours to deliver exceptional customer service
- Our locations – In the most beautiful sailing areas at lovely destination resorts, providing clients with after-course sailing opportunities, and full service amenities including resort accommodations, all packaged for one-stop shopping when a course is booked
- Our course certifications – US Sailing Certifications for instructors and students developed by a team of sailing educators headed by Steve Colgate for US Sailing, appointed by the U.S. Congress in 1894 as the U.S. Governing Body of Sailing
- Our industry and resort partners – Offshore Sailing School is “the official sailing school for The Moorings,” the pre-eminent charter company worldwide, and enjoys long term relationships with stunning resort properties in Florida and in the British Virgin Islands; many industry associations and businesses including North U and sailing magazines – providing valuable benefits for our clients
- Our graduates – More than 160,000 adults and families who have taken a course with Offshore Sailing School and gone on to live the sailing lifestyle; our graduates are a tribute to why Offshore Sailing School is one of the best sailing schools in the world