Tips for Comfort Aboard
How to Feel Safe Aboard
In this video, you learn what you should have aboard to keep you safe, and features to look for in a sailboat when starting out.
Want to learn more? Take our Learn to Sail Course or our Fast Track to Cruising Course and feel the confidence that comes with learning on safe and easy to handle sailboat, with the right safety features aboard.
What to Wear and Bring Aboard
This video explains what you should wear and bring aboard for comfort.
How To Recover Someone Overboard
There are several techniques for picking up someone who has gone overboard. In this video, Kevin Wensley, former Offshore Sailing School Director of Operations, explains how to quickly and safely bring someone back aboard.
Want to learn more? Start with our Learn to Sail Course and then segue right into our Live Aboard Cruising Course or Bareboat Charter Course and find out why Offshore Sailing School graduates feel safe and comfortable when sailing and cruising.
Creature Comforts on a Cruising Boat
This video tours of one of our Jeanneau 439 cruising boats, and explains what you might expect to find aboard a boat you can live aboard. Here are features to look for:
- The galley (kitchen) should have a full cooking stove, refrigerator and freezer, with hot and cold running water
- The main salon (main living space) should be big enough to sport a convertible table with plenty of seating for guests and a navigation station with good storage areas
- The forward cabin, which usually has a V-berth, should be spacious enough to provide storage and natural light
- Depending on the size of the boat you choose (ours have four individual sleeping areas), all cabins should have fans and if possible air-conditioning throughout for sailing in warmer climates
- Bathrooms (which we call “heads”) should have toilets that are easy to flush, a shower and vanity sink with storage for personal items
Want to learn more? Take a Cruising Course with Offshore Sailing School and learn all about living aboard and getting the most enjoyment from cruising.
How to Cure Hiccups Underway
In this video, Offshore Sailing School Founder, Steve Colgate, shows you how to help someone with hiccups that just won’t go away.
Want to learn more? All of our wonderful faculty members have tons of helpful tips to share with you, garnered from miles at sea. Take a Learn to Sail or Cruising Course and find out why sailors have more fun!