Sailing Tips & Videos
Offshore Sailing School Tips on Learning to Sail & How-To Videos
Offshore Sailing School founder, Steve Colgate, says he never stops learning to sail – even after more than seven decades of racing and cruising. The more you sail, the more you realize how intriguing it is. That’s the fun and beauty of the sailing lifestyle. Most of the Offshore Sailing School sailing videos and sailboat tips in this section, which aim to help you learn how to sail, were written by our operations team and professionally produced for Offshore Sailing School, Knowlera Media and Main Sail Video Productions.
Here’s a Menu of Video Sailing Tips in this Section:
- Anchoring – How to Use a Windlass and How to Anchor
- Docking – Docking Under Power and How to Spring Off a Dock
- Safety and Comfort Aboard – How to Feel Safe Aboard, What to Wear and Bring Aboard, How to Recover Someone Overboard, Creature Comforts on a Cruising Boat, and How to Cure Hiccups Underway
- Sails and Sail Trim – How to Trim Sails Upwind, How to Trim Sails Downwind, How to Jibe a Sailboat, How to Use a Winch, How to Adjust the Fairlead on a Loaded Jibsheet, How to Handle Jib Furling Systems, How to Remove Lazy Jacks to Easily Hoist the Mainsail, How to Heave To
- Steering and Maneuvering – How to Maneuver in Close Quarters, How to Motor Backwards, How to Tow a Dinghy
- Handling Spinnakers – How to Set Up for a Spinnaker Hoist, How to Set a Spinnaker, How to Jibe a Spinnaker, How to Douse a Spinnaker to Leeward, How to Douse a Spinnaker to Windward
- Engine Maintenance – Prestart Engine Checks and How to Avoid Overheating a Diesel Engine
If you are learning to sail and there is a topic or any sailboat tips that you don’t see here but would like to know more about, send an email to Doris@OffshoreSailing.com and we will consider it for future sailing tips video productions. Visit the Offshore Sailing School Blog for more sailboat tips from our library of textbooks and personal experiences. If you haven’t yet taken an Offshore Sailing School course, give us a call today!