OFFSHORE SAILING SCHOOL NEWS AND SPECIAL DEALS
NEW CONTEST – THE GREAT SAILING GETAWAY!
Win a one-week vacation while learning to sail or bareboat charter with our Great Sailing Getaway Contest! Grand Prize: Tuition for up to four students together (minimum age 7 with adult) in choice of 5 half-day Learn to Sail Course, or our 5-day Bareboat Charter Cruising Course*, at beautiful South Seas Island Resort on Captiva Island, Florida, for 5 nights/6 days in a 2-bedroom Tennis Villa accommodation.
The past 12 months have been very challenging, filled with anxiety, grief, and socializing obstacles, but we’ve seen goodness and kindness too. We want to shine a light on a deserving individual or family for what they have endured and overcome. We want people to share the journey they have been on since March 2020. Who deserves a Great Sailing Getaway adventure to spend quality time with loved ones, learning a new activity they can enjoy together in the future, all while relaxing at one of the premier resorts in the country, a 330-acre nature preserve, South Seas Island Resort on Captiva Island, Florida? You may enter yourself, or nominate someone else to win the Grand Prize. Judging will be based primarily on those overcoming adversity and challenges during the past 12 months (since March 2020). Essay/story judging will occur in early May with winner selected by May 14, 2021. Winner will be notified by phone and certified letter and will need to sign and return an Affidavit within 10 days of notification, or prize will be awarded to runner-up, and so on.
- No purchase necessary to enter: Simply write an original essay/story (with 150 maximum word count) about overcoming adversity and challenges this past year, and submit a captioned photo, illustration or drawing. Subject must be “Why you deserve, or why someone you are nominating deserves, to win a Great Sailing Getaway – Learn to Sail or Bareboat Charter Cruising vacation.”
- Entry may not have been published anywhere else, and becomes the sole property of Offshore Sailing School to use in any marketing, advertising, or promotion in perpetuity, without compensation to author. Entry will not be returned and may be displayed at the 2021 U.S. Sailboat Show in Annapolis, MD in October 2021.
- Entries must be sent via the Entry Form button below which allows you to upload your content; or email or mail to: Beth Oliver (BOliver@OffshoreSailing.com) with attachment; or Offshore Sailing School, Attn: Beth Oliver, 16731 McGregor Blvd., Ste. 110, Fort Myers, FL 33908. Subject line or mark envelope “Great Sailing Getaway Entry.” You still must complete the Official Entry Form through the button below.
- One visual with caption must accompany the essay/story, which may be written and created by someone age 7 and above, but the contest winner must be age 21 or older, and a resident of the United States. Winner may bring up to three guests, minimum age 7 or older.
- Entries must be received NO LATER than 5:00 p.m. ET on April 30, 2021.
- *Choosing the 5-day Bareboat Charter Cruising Course aboard our Jeanneau 439 requires winner and all participants already have US Sailing Basic Keelboat certification.
- Course and resort stay must be taken at same time and completed before December 31, 2021 and will not be extended for any reason.
- Grand Prize may not be transferred by winner beyond themselves or whomever they originally nominated.
- Once issued, lost prize certificates will not be replaced and original must be surrendered at time of booking. Copies of certificate will not be accepted.
- Course and stay will be confirmed based on availability.
- One essay/story entry with visual material per person.
- Please click on the link below to complete and submit Official Entry Form.
- Course tuition for up to four students together in 5 half-day Learn to Sail Course or 5-day Bareboat Charter Cruising Course, personalized certificate, logbook for each student, US Sailing certification based on course completed, future Offshore Sailing School Course discounts and benefits.
- 5-night stay in 2-bedroom Tennis Villa at South Seas Island Resort on Captiva Island (check in Sunday, course runs Monday to Friday, check out Friday morning unless you desire extra night(s) at your own expense). Enjoy views of the courtyard and tennis facilities from your large screened balcony and access to the private pool. Your home away from home, with all the perks of a full-service resort is just a short walk to the white sand beach, boutique shopping, restaurants and bars, plus a complimentary trolley to the North Harbour Yacht Marina where the classroom and Colgate 26 sailboat or Jeanneau 439 yacht are located for your Course.
- Prize holds no cash value and must be used one-time, in full.
- No other value will be received if winner chooses not to confirm the course and resort stay, departs early from the course or resort, does not show for course or resort stay, or winner does not complete the course and resort stay before December 31, 2021.
- Travel expenses to/from location
- Ground transportation
- Any food and beverage items
- Any personal incidental charges
- Optional travel insurance
OTHER FUN WAYS TO SAIL!
View all our sailing courses available at our four resort locations in Florida. Don’t forget our special ‘Tweens & Teens Learn Free family sailing vacations – perfect for summer family fun, our 20th Anniversary Performance Race Week, our first-ever Fast Track to Sailing Course (scroll down for details), and our hosted Colgate Sailing Adventures® flotilla vacations.
BOOK A PRIVATE COURSE EXPERIENCE
At America’s #1 Sailing School®, we offer private sailing and power cruise courses. What does that mean? Couples enrolling in a private course option, or families purchasing a Buy-the-Boat package for any course listed can learn together in a private experience – just the two of you, or you and your family with a dedicated instructor. Buy-the-Boat packages for a family or group of up to five are available with two-bedroom resort accommodations. Children minimum age 7 are welcome to participate in the course with adults. Please see this page for details.
One of our most special activities is our ‘Tweens and Teens Learn Free family vacation program, where up to three kids, ages 7-17, learn to sail with two adults for free. That’s a savings of nearly 60%! This is an absolutely amazing experience, one that many parents say is the best way for the family to bond and stay connected. To take advantage of this very special offer, pick a date when your kids are out of school and sign up for a 5-day Learn to Sail Course at South Seas Island Resort on Captiva Island or Pink Shell Beach Resort on Ft. Myers Beach, Florida. Both of these family-friendly resorts offer lots of things to do when you are not out on the water.
Call 888-454-7015 or 239-454-1700
When all of our sailing school locations closed down between April and May, Steve and Doris Colgate thought sailors and would-be sailors might want a little home-made entertainment. So, they put together a series of short, inspirational video vignettes with Steve talking about his fascinating sailing career. Doris shares some stories too!
70 #DocksideChatswithSteve have been produced and posted on Offshore Sailing School’s Facebook page. You will also find these stories on the Offshore Sailing School YouTube Channel . Our channel features these Chats, plus sailing tips, tours of our resort locations, recaps of our flotilla vacations and other special events. These stories will be featured in memoirs that Steve and Doris are working on to be published in 2021, so you are getting a sneak peek.
OUR GRADS SAY THE GREATEST THINGS…
My experience with Offshore Sailing School was life changing. I enrolled in the Fast Track to Cruising® course with my husband Matt to see if live aboard sailing and bareboat chartering was for me. I graduated with a lifetime certification not only with sailing knowledge but with a new love for learning. The course surpassed all my expectations and my husband and I now have a new hobby to share!
Ellen Orenstein – Atlanta, GA
Fast Track to Cruising – Captiva Island, FL June 2019
FLORIDA LOCATIONS WHERE YOU CAN LEARN . . .
- Hampton Inn & Suites, St. Petersburg
- South Seas Island Resort, Captiva Island
- Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina, Ft. Myers Beach
- Westin Cape Coral at Marina Village, Cape Coral
888-454-7015 or 239-454-1700
A BRAND NEW COURSE — FAST TRACK® TO SAILING COURSE DEBUTS ON CAPTIVA ISLAND, FLORIDA
This brand new 6-day course at South Seas Island Resort provides total immersion in learning the nuances of sailing along with small boat handling and navigation. Offered November 7-13, 2021, with just 16 spots available, this very special program is sure to sell-out.
Earn Two Certifications and a Small Boat Cruising Certificate
The links below take you to the courses that are combined to bring you the Fast Track® to Sailing program. Whether you are just getting into sailing or returning to refresh your skills, this experiential sailing program is offered only in its entirety.
- Basic Keelboat Certification – OSS 101 Learn to Sail Course
- Small Sailboat Cruising – OSS 101 pro
- Coastal Navigation Certification – OSS 105 Coastal Navigation Course
GIVE YOUR TEAM THE CORPORATE ADVANTAGE WITH A SAIL-RACE CHALLENGE®
Sailing is the by far the best way to bring teams together and develop leaders who will deftly guide those teams. Offshore Sailing School can accommodate teams of 8 and up aboard two Colgate 26 sailboats or more in our unique Corporate Sail-Race Challenge® sailing lessons. In addition to the Pink Shell Beach Resort on Ft. Myers Beach, Offshore Sailing School hosts team building and group sailing excursions at South Seas Island Resort on Captiva Island, and The Westin Cape Coral Resort in Cape Coral, Florida. Groups of up to 10 may also be accommodated at Scrub Island Resort in the British Virgin Islands. Contact Beth Oliver today to learn how your team can perform at the highest level: BOliver@OffshoreSailing.com, 239-985-7516.
888-454-7015 or 239-454-1700
We have a full spectrum of sailing vacations available through our Colgate Sailing Adventures® Flotilla Cruises – for Offshore Sailing School grads and sailors who love to sail. The group in this photo are at the Meet and Greet dinner for the St. Martins flotilla cruise in February 2020 (prior to social distancing guidelines). These sailing vacations are the most delightful way to explore the world under sail. We charter the sailboats, research and provide the itinerary, put the crews together based on friendships and sailing experience, and best of all – we provide expert tour leaders who love to sail and want you to have the time of your life! View our five amazing destinations in 2021 here. Check out this video from our 2019 Colgate Sailing Adventures flotilla sailing vacation aboard six Moorings cruising yachts in the British Virgin Islands.
888-454-7015 or 239-454-1700
OUR 56TH YEAR AND STILL CELEBRATING!
Not too many companies surpass 50 years with their original leaders still at the helm. Living in southwest Florida, those leaders have become somewhat of a legend.
Case in point: Doris was featured in the October 2019 Gulfshore Life Magazine as one of five impressive “Game Changers” in Southwest Florida.
And every day the Colgates wake up with a smile, do their morning walk, then head to the office to work closely with a dedicated team that works tirelessly to introduce more people to the sailing lifestyle. And at the end of very busy days, the Colgates often say, “Where did the years go?”
Steve Colgate started Offshore Sailing School on the back of a cocktail napkin in November 1964. Doris met Steve in January 1968 when she took a racing course he ran in the Bahamas. Read more about the evolution of Offshore Sailing School in our About Us section on this website: Steve’s bio here and Doris’ bio here. The Colgates are working on their memoirs with author Herb McCormick for publication in 2021.
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER AND LEARN MORE
Our bi-monthly newsletter with interesting stories, industry updates, and sailing course specials. Visit our Sailing Newsletter Sign-Up page. Got a story idea? Send it to Offshore Sailing’s Director of Marketing, Beth Oliver at Boliver@OffshoreSailing.com.