New York Harbor Sailing Club — 2016 March News
NORTH COVE SAILING CLUB AND COLGATE OFFSHORE SAILING CLUB MERGE
More boats, more activities and two sailing centers (called “Stations” in yacht club talk)
are opening in New York Harbor, Spring 2016. The long-standing Colgate Offshore Sailing Club stationed at Liberty Landing Marina in Liberty State Park, New Jersey, and the North Cove Sailing Club in North Cove Marina, have merged and will operate under the Colgate Offshore Sailing Club name.
NORTH COVE MARINA REOPENS MAY 1, 2016
We have 13 slips for our 12 Colgate 26s and one chase boat in North Cove Marina, plus a dedicated Club House and School classroom location around the corner from P.J. Clarke’s at One North End Ave. (also known as 300 Vesey Street). This big, airy space looks out to Hudson River and is opposite the ferry station to Liberty Landing Marina in New Jersey and sightseeing points on the Hudson. The clubhouse is now open, sailing starts May 1 out of North Cove Marina. Club gatherings and our opening party announcement are coming soon.
SAIL THE BEST BOATS IN THE HARBOR
Boats used in the club are the popular Colgate 26 keelboats, a favorite of the U.S. Naval Academy which took delivery of 12 new identically matched C26s (called Navy 26s) for collegiate racing in December 2015. This increases the Naval Academy’s fleet to 42. No wonder our club members like the Colgate 26s so much!
RENEW YOUR MEMBERSHIP, JOIN IF YOU’RE NOT YET A MEMBER
- COSC Burgee – The New Jersey and New York clubs will display the red COSC burgee shown above as its logo
- Club Stations – Club stations are COSC-East (North Cove Marina) and COSC-West (Liberty Landing Marina)
- Dual or Single Club Memberships Available – Join for boat use at either station or enjoy dual station boat use; if choosing COSC-East or dual COSC-East/West membership, NYC sales tax will be collected on total dues
- Start Sailing in April – 2016 Club sailing season starts Saturday, April 9 at Liberty Landing Marina; May 1 at North Cove Marina; season ends last week in October
DEDICATED CLUB BOATS AND CLUB MANAGER
- More Boats for Your Use – 19 Colgate 26s in NY Harbor with 12 at COSC-East
- Dedicated Club Boats – Club boats dedicated for your use will be identified with the club burgee in the rigging to avoid any confusion with boats used for instruction
- Club Manager – Jim Moore is the Colgate Offshore Sailing Club Manager, dedicated to COSC members and activities, making your club experience the best ever!
CLUB RACE SCHEDULE
- Season Opening Sailabration – Racing starts Sunday afternoon, April 10, 2016 with welcome post-race party
- Sunday, Wednesday, Thursday Races – Races will be held Sunday afternoons and Wednesday and Thursday evenings through Labor Day; then Sunday afternoons September 10 through October 30
- Professionally Run Races – COSC Manager will run the races, with help from other Offshore Sailing School staff as needed, on committee boat and chase boat
NEW COURSES AND CLINICS
- New 2-Day Race-Ready Course – A new 2-day Race-Ready Performance Sailing course will bring your racing skills up to speed, discounted for COSC members
- New 2-Day Accelerated Learn to Sail Course – For new members or to refresh rusty skills, a 2-day Accelerated Learn to Sail Certification Course will be available every weekend starting April 9, discounted for COSC members
- Free Skipper Clinics – Held monthly on Saturdays, April 9 – June 17 from 2 to 5 p.m., these COSC member-only clinics are for members who want to move from Crew to Skipper and those who want to refresh their skills
- Free Special Interest Clinics – For club members; on topics like harbor navigation, GPS and VHF use, spinnaker techniques, sharp-shooter sail trim, outboard maintenance, seamanship
SOCIAL EVENTS AND MORE
- Clubhouse Centers – The COSC-West lightship, and classroom/Club Lounge at North Cove Marina, are available for member activities
- New Member Orientations – Held monthly or as needed
- Lunch Bunch Day Sails – Periodic fun sails to waterside eateries scheduled throughout the season
- Founders Nights – Evenings with the Colgates – Offshore Sailing School Founder/Chairman Steve Colgate, who was inducted into the National Sailing Hall of Fame October 2015, and Offshore Sailing School CEO/President Doris Colgate, who founded the National Women’s Sailing Association and Women’s Sailing Foundation – will give presentations for club members and their guests
- Other Guest Speakers – Invited periodiclly to stimulate your sailing knowledge
- Discounts at Local Gathering Holes – Various local bars (Beaubourg and LeBar at Brookfield Place and others), plus restaurants and stores, are standing by to make your sailing season more fun
WINTER SAILING OPPORTUNITIES
- Spring For Sail – Help Offshore Sailing School staff get the fleet ready now, and put the boats to bed at the end of the season. Contact COSC Manager Jim Moore, Jim@OffshoreSailing.com to learn more.
- Florida “Ya Gotta Regatta” Invitational – Grab your club buddies and bring guests to Captiva Island, Florida for a weekend of exciting racing in warm waters under sunny skies next winter (dates announced later in season). Plan to arrive Friday and depart Sunday afternoon. This fun long weekend costs just $400 per person entry fee plus accommodations, food and beverage.
- Caribbean Cruise Week – A super way to earn Bareboat Cruising Certification while cruising in the British Virgin Islands. You’ll spend four days with an instructor aboard, in the Offshore Sailing School signature Live Aboard Cruising course, then set sail with your crew mates on a 3-day bareboat cruise (no instructor aboard). You can even extend that cruise if your boat of crew mates plans ahead. You’ll sail and learn on 43′ to 54′ Moorings or Sunsail yachts. Please indicate your interest in a cruise next winter with Jim Moore, Jim@OffshoreSailing.com.
HELP SET YOUR CLUB’S COURSE
- Club Steering Committee – Tweak these experiences and add more; work with COSC Manager to set your club’s course; contact Jim Moore, Jim@OffshoreSailing.com to learn more.
- Your “COSC Currents” Newsletter – If you look at the photos in the rotating section above, you’ll see we are very lean on good shots of club members having fun. We need your help! Start an image bank (photos in jpeg format please and if taking on your phone, transmit them in actual size). Write stories, volunteer to join our editorial staff. Contact Jim Moore, Jim@OffshoreSailing.com to get involved.
WANT A CAREER CHANGE THAT’S ALL ABOUT SAILING?
Offshore Sailing School is currently interviewing for these NY Harbor Positions: a dedicated Maintenance Technician, Instructors, and Sales Associates. If you are interested or you want to spread the word, please check out the job descriptions here and contact Gunter Spilhaus, NY Harbor District Manager – Gunter@OffshoreSailing.com.