Learn Sailing at Offshore Sailing School
America’s #1 Sailing School® — Celebrating 55 Years!
Offshore Sailing School has received many recognitions and awards for creating the best sailing instruction programs and graduating more than 150,000 from its US sailing courses. It is acknowledged in the sailing industry as “America’s #1 Sailing School” offering a full roster of US Sailing Courses.
Achieve Your Certification on Boats Designed for Training and Comfort
When you learn how to sail, cruise or race at Offshore Sailing School, you learn on sailboats and powerboats carefully chosen and designed for teaching. Our most popular sailing courses are combo Fast Track to Cruising courses that combine OSS 101, OSS 103 and OSS 104 in one eight day period, with OSS 114 added when learning on a catamaran; and OSS 105/106 for Fast Track to Coastal Passage Making; and OSS 107/108 for Fast Track to Offshore Passage Making. A quick description of all the courses listed below is on our Sail and Power Course page.
- OSS 101 – Learn to Sail/Basic Keelboat
- OSS 102 – Performance Sailing
- OSS 103 – Basic Cruising
- OSS 104 – Bareboat Cruising
- OSS 105 – Coastal Navigation
- OSS 106 – Coastal Passage Making
- OSS 107 – Celestial Navigation
- OSS 108 – Offshore Passage Making
- OSS 109 – Performance Sailboat Racing at Performance Race Week
- OSS 114 – Catamaran Endorsement
New sailors and returning sailors learn on acclaimed Colgate 26 keelboats, designed for training by Steve Colgate and marine architect Jim Taylor. Fast, ergonomically comfortable and very safe, this is the boat chosen by the US Naval Academy to train its plebes. The Colgate 26 is also the boat used in Offshore Sailing School Performance Sailing and Sailboat Racing courses. For Cruising Courses you learn on fast and fun 43′ Jeanneau monohulls, a Catalina Morgan 440, and 40′ to 48′ Leopard catamarans in Florida. In the British Virgin Islands.you learn on 44′ to 48′ catamarans provided by Sunsail and The Moorings, Moorings 514 cruising yachts and Moorings 37′ to 48′ powercats.
Expert Sailors Who are True Teachers
Your instructors are caring sailors with extensive sailing and teaching experience who give you the skills, knowledge and confidence to thoroughly enjoy the sailing lifestyle – all under the guidance of our founder, Steve Colgate, who was inducted into the National Sailing Hall of Fame in 2015.
Start Learning Now!
Why We Are Number One
- Our founder, Olympian and America’s Cup competitor Steve Colgate, inducted into the National Sailing Hall of Fame in 2015 because of his pre-eminent position as an sailing educator and world-class racing sailor
- President and CEO, founder of the National Women’s Sailing Association, passionate about providing sailing opportunities for all, Doris Colgate
- Over 55 years of award-winning programs and sailing instruction with more than 150,000 graduates
- Highly experienced and professional faculty who care about you, certified by US Sailing and licensed by U.S. Coast Guard
- Greatest variety of sailing course offerings – from live aboard sailing lessons to cruising adventures and racing clinics, and an online learning course
- Most comprehensive curricula and textbooks for each sailing course, written by the Colgates and US Sailing National Faculty
- Excellent teaching platforms – sailboats designed for safety and performance
- Graduates, 83% of whom rated their latest experience with Offshore “very high” in a September 2015 study, attesting to our ability to give you more than you can imagine in the course you choose
- US Sailing Courses and Certification at all levels recognized by charter companies throughout the world
- Superior resort and metro locations that allow you to immerse yourself in the learning experience
“The biggest mistake of my sailing career was taking my Basic Keelboat Course in the New York City area with another school and not Offshore. We learned very little with the other school. Bottom line is that from my experience Offshore rocks and is the Harvard, Princeton, Yale of sailing schools.”
Keith Bloesch– Hoboken, NJ
After you complete a course at the Colgate Offshore Sailing School, if the sailing instruction you received was not up to your expectations, let us know right away and we will arrange to give you the same course over again, tuition free. Sign up to learn how to sail with Offshore Sailing School today!