Offshore Passage Making
Offshore Passage Making Takes You Out to Sea
Even if you live within sight of the sea, it is easy to forget that our world is mostly water. The open ocean – that vast expanse of international waters – begins just a few miles out and spreads across three-quarters of the globe. It is a place that remains radically free, exciting, breathtakingly beautiful and most unforgiving if you don’t know what you are doing. Now that you’ve achieved your Coastal Passage Making Certification, it’s time to go further offshore and experience longer periods of open water sailing, out of sight of land, while learning in the ultimate blue water sailing school environment.
This Offshore Passage Making course is our most advanced open water sailing certification course, for experienced sailors who want to build skills, knowledge and confidence in preparation for long passages in open waters. If you are indeed moving towards a long passage over vast ocean stretches, your first open water sailing lesson could make or break your desire to pursue that goal. Offshore Sailing School is very conscious of your safety aboard, and like the Coastal Passage Making Course, requires that two U.S. Coast Guard licensed instructors are aboard at all times. Passage Making instructors are certified at the highest US Sailing instructor certification level to teach Offshore Passage Making courses.
FAST TRACK TO OFFSHORE PACKAGE MAKING
December 5-15, 2018 at South Seas Island Resort on Captiva Island, FL
Plan to arrive December 4 and depart December 15. This course includes the 5-day celestial navigation course and the 6-day Offshore Passage Making course. Celestial Navigation runs December 5-9 while you stay ashore at South Seas Island Resort. On December 10 you board the Jeanneau 439 and set sail, returning to the South Seas yacht harbor on December 15 in time for you to head home (or you may stay aboard that night if you can’t get a flight out until the next day).
Package Rates for Fast Track to Offshore Passage Making
Rates below are for the Celestial and Offshore Passage Making Courses, all the tools you need for the two course(s), and accommodations in a Harbourside Room with resort fees and taxes, overlooking the yacht harbor. One and two-bedroom accommodations are also available.
- $6840 per person double occupancy for Fast Track to Offshore Passage Making
- $7970 single occupancy for Fast Track to Offshore Passage Making
About Your Time Under Sail in the Passage Making Course
The Offshore Passage Making Course is six days of mostly non-stop sailing. In this open water sailing certification course your journey takes you out to sea, logging 600 miles (at least 250 of which are 50 miles away from shore) before you return to base or your destination on the sixth day of your trip.
You learn with a maximum of five other students, divided into two watches working in four-hour shifts, each watch led by an instructor as watch captain. Berths are shared. Each watch is in charge while “on” – crewing, navigating, steering, covering everything necessary for successful journeys on your own.
Package Rates for Offshore Passage Making without Celestial Navigation
If you already have taken the celestial course you make take just the Offshore Passage Making portion. In this case arrive December 9 and stay ashore that night, then board the boat the next morning, returning to the harbor December 15 in time for you to head home (or you may stay aboard that night if you can’t get a flight out until the next day). .
- $5300 per person double occupancy for OPM without Celestial
- $5970 single occupancy for OPM without Celestial
Package Rates for the December Celestial Navigation Course Only
If you just want to take the Celestial Navigation course, plan to arrive December 4 and depart December 10, 2018. You will stay ashore throughout the course. Package rates below are for the Celestial Navigation course, all the navigation tools you need for the course, and 6-nights accommodations with resort fees and taxes in a Harbourside Room. One and two-bedroom villas are also available.
- $2450 per person double occupancy for December Celestial course only
- $2990 single occupancy for December Celestial course only
- General plan for 600 mile ocean passage
- Provisioning and galley duty plan
- Comprehensive check of vessel, rig, equipment
- Watch schedule and duty roster
- Determine long range weather forecast
- Celestial navigation techniques
- Ship’s log entries in timely fashion
- SSB radio use
- Helmsman skill review and practice
- Safety on deck, jacklines, sail changing, avoiding bight of lines, leeward of boom
- Safety below, storage for knockdowns, galley spills
- Heavy weather sailing, actual or simulated
- Reefing, drogues, sea anchors, storm sails
- Crew overboard recovery systems – Quick Stop, LifeSling, Quick Turn
- Practice crew overboard recovery in daylight, night and adverse conditions
- Simulate life raft deployment
- Plan for simulated fire, water intake, dismasting or other disasters
- Simulate plan for a medical emergency
Prerequisites for Fast Track to Offshore Passage Making Course: All lower US Sailing certification levels including Basic Keelboat, Basic Cruising, Bareboat Cruising, Coastal Navigation and Coastal Passage Making required; or sailing skills equal to Offshore Sailing School Fast Track to Coastal Passage Making Course, including Coastal Navigation if certification not desired; plus valid US Sailing recognized CPR and First Aid Certification.
Certification: US Sailing Offshore Passage Making for Offshore Passage Making Course
All training materials and meals aboard during the course are included. Meals ashore, food bought ashore other than provisions provided, travel and other expenses you may incur are not included. The itinerary is given to you at start of course and may change as courses progresses, subject to weather and sea conditions.
Your Fast Track to Offshore Passage Making package includes:
- Offshore Passage Making Course (Monday through Saturday morning)
- Five nights/six days of sailing on a yacht up to 50’
- Two expert Offshore Sailing School instructors aboard throughout the passage
- All books and materials
- All meals aboard Monday through Saturday morning
- Cruising taxes, if applicable
- US Sailing Certification testing for Offshore Passage Making
- Logbook (or page for logbook if you have taken other Offshore Sailing School certification courses)
- Course diploma
- Graduation celebration
- Certification sticker for logbook sent from US Sailing after course if you pass certification test
- Exclusive benefit from The Sailing Company – your choice of a year’s subscription to Cruising World or Sailing World magazine (US mailing addresses only)
Please call 888-454-7015 to sign up as there are only 6 spots available in the Fast Track to Offshore Passage Making course (8 in the Celestial if that’s all you want to take). All itineraries from all start points are subject to change and depend on weather and sea conditions. The itinerary for your passage will be presented to you at the start of the course, and can change as you progress through the week. Since arrival times may change, we suggest you arrange for flight departures on the day after scheduled arrival below.
10-Day Fast Track to Offshore Passage Making Course
Sample schedules, may vary by location, sent to you upon enrollment
9:00 – Get boat ready for sea, safety briefing and boat show, complete pre-departure check list
11:00 – Set sail (earlier if pre-departure completed sooner), boat familiarization drills on way out to sea
Days Two Through Five
Sailing instruction 24hours/day, standing watches, overnight sailing, all meals prepared underway
8:00-12:00 – Boat clean up, certification testing underway
Noon – Return boat to final destination, depart for home or stay aboard or ashore and leave next morning
Offshore Sailing School knows we cannot thrive without great employees and products. All graduates are asked to fill out an evaluation at the end of the course. The following testimonials come from those evaluations and individual correspondence with recent graduates of the Fast Track to Offshore Passage Making or either of its two components. Many are happy to correspond by email or phone with you. If you would like us to put you in touch with anyone below, please call 888-454-7015 or email sail@OffshoreSailing.com.
What our graduates have to say about the Offshore Sailing School Offshore Passage Making course:
Great course. More work than the other courses I have taken, but more rewarding too. The instructors were excellent, they make the course. Overall, this course was a great experience.
Thomas Grier – Dallas, TX