Welcome to America’s #1 Sailing School
Welcome to Steve and Doris Colgate’s Offshore Sailing School. You are about to embark on an amazing voyage with the most respected leaders in sailing education. Our founder and Chairman, Steve Colgate, is one of just 48 sailors inducted into the National Sailing Hall of Fame. An Olympian and America's Cup sailor, Steve’s imprint is on every sailing lesson and boating instruction we deliver. Doris Colgate, our President and CEO, founded the National Women’s Sailing Association and Women’s Sailing Foundation. Our instructors are US Sailing certified, Coast Guard licensed, and professional educators. Our resort and metro locations provide incredible sailing opportunities. Our state-of-the-art sailboats and powerboats are designed by Steve Colgate and marine architects for safe, exciting sailing. Our textbooks, written by the Colgates, are published by McGraw-Hill. Join our more than 130,000 graduates, who enthusiastically endorse Offshore Sailing School’s industry reputation as America’s #1 Sailing School®.
Our Courses and Programs View More
Learn to Sail
It’s time to embark on a whole new lifestyle. Take the helm of a sleek Colgate 26 sailboat. Be amazed at how much confidence you gain on a 3-day or 5-day learning vacation.
Learn to Cruise
Get ready to see the world under sail. Learn on a beautiful big monohull or catamaran. Live aboard or stay at a gorgeous resort each night of your rewarding learning vacation.
Learn on Catamarans
Get ready for catamaran cruising with a delightful charter cruising course on an impressive big catamaran. Then learn in-depth navigation skills on a live-aboard cruise.
Learn to Race
Hone your sailing skills with a fun, action-packed performance course. Learn to win with go-fast techniques and tactics, then wow your pals in friendly competition back home.
Learn Passage Making
Set sail on an exhilarating blue water sailing school experience. Discover how to safely sail round-the-clock. Achieve skills and confidence for long passages on your own.
Learn to Power Like a Pro
Take your family on a fun cruising course vacation. Gain ultimate confidence while living and learning on a big, beautiful power cat as you cruise from island to island.
Flotilla Cruise Vacations
Treat yourself to new adventures under sail. A benefit for Offshore Sailing School alumni, flotilla cruising vacations, led by Offshore faculty, take you all over the world.
Our Locations View More
Captiva Island, Florida
Sail where dolphins and manatees play. Come to South Seas Island Resort, a 330-acre island destination surrounded by sandy beaches, bays and the Gulf of Mexico.
Scrub Island, British Virgin Islands
Stay at gorgeous Scrub Island Resort, Marina & Spa – a Marriott Autograph Collection hotel. Enjoy luxury ambiance while learning on the deep blue waters of the British Virgin Islands.
Fort Myers Beach, Florida
Choose The Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina where every room has amazing views of spectacular Gulf sunsets and sugar-white beaches stretch for miles.
Tortola, British Virgin Islands
Earn Bareboat Cruising Certification on a Moorings sail or power charter yacht. Learn as you sail from island to island, stopping each night in a different port in paradise.
St. Petersburg, Florida
Your vacation on Tampa Bay starts from the waterfront Hampton Inn & Suites, in trendy downtown St. Pete with terrific museums, restaurants and night life.
Battery Park City, New York City
Offshore Sailing School at Brookfield Place has accessible sailing for all from North Cove Marina. Learn to sail and race. Join our sailing club, KidsSail programs, go for a ride, compete with your team.
Learn Sailing at Offshore Sailing School
America’s #1 Sailing School®
Offshore Sailing School has received many recognitions and awards for creating the best sailing instruction programs and sailing classes. It is acknowledged in the sailing industry as “America’s #1 Sailing School” with US Sailing Courses. When you learn sailing, cruising or racing at Offshore Sailing School, you learn on sailboats carefully chosen and designed for teaching. Your instructors are caring sailors with extensive sailing and teaching experience who give you the skills, knowledge and confidence to thoroughly enjoy the sailing lifestyle – all under the guidance of our founder, Steve Colgate, who was inducted into the National Sailing Hall of Fame in 2015.
Why We Are #1
- Our founder, Olympian and America’s Cup competitor Steve Colgate, inducted into the National Sailing Hall of Fame in 2015 because of his pre-eminent position as a sailing educator and world-wide racing sailor
- President and CEO, founder of the National Women’s Sailing Association, and passionate about providing sailing opportunities for all, Doris Colgate
- Over 50 years of award-winning programs and sailing instruction with more than 130,000 graduates
- Highly experienced and professional faculty who care about you, certified by US Sailing and licensed by U.S. Coast Guard
- Greatest variety of sailing course offerings – from day sailing to cruising and racing, including learning online course
- Most comprehensive curricula and textbooks for each sailing course, written by the Colgates and US Sailing National Faculty
- Excellent teaching platforms – sailboats designed for safety and performance
- Graduates, 83% of whom rated their latest experience with Offshore “very high” in a September 2015 study, attesting to our ability to give you more than you can imagine in the course you choose
- US Sailing Courses and Certification at all levels recognized by charter companies throughout the world
- Superior resort and metro locations that allow you to immerse yourself in the learning experience
“The biggest mistake of my sailing career was taking my Basic Keelboat Course in the New York City area with another school and not Offshore. We learned very little with the other school. Bottom line is that from my experience Offshore rocks and is the Harvard, Princeton, Yale of sailing schools.”
read testimonials here
After you complete a course at the Colgate Offshore Sailing School, if the sailing instruction you received was not up to your expectations, let us know right away and we will arrange to give you the same course over again, tuition free.
Call 888-415-7015 or 239-454-1700, Email Sail@OffshoreSailing.com