Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, BVI in the British Virgin Islands
A Private Island with Superb Accommodations, Amenities and Fabulous Sailing
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, BVI is Offshore Sailing School's newest base, located on a private island just minutes from the airport on Tortola. Opened in 2010, Scrub Island is the newest luxury resort built in the British Virgin Islands in over 15 years.
Scrub Island Resort offers superb accommodations, gorgeous pools, a spa, gym with state of the art equipment, casual and fine dining, scuba diving and snorkeling, paddle boarding off the beach, fishing, excursions to other islands, shopping and now – Offshore Sailing School!
The most convenient international Airport to Scrub Island is in San Juan, Puerto Rico (code SJU), where you can catch a short connecting flight with scheduled service via Seaborne Airlines (now affiliated with Jet Blue) and Cape Air to Beef Island Airport (code EIS) on Tortola.
Welcome to Island Time!
When you arrive, Scrub Island will arrange a taxi to greet you at the Beef Island Airport and take you on a two minute drive to the Trellis Bay Dock where you will board the resort's private launch for a 10 minute boatride to Scrub Island. Your luggage is in the hands of the very friendly resort staff from the time you take the taxi at the airport to entering your room at the resort. And while you are on the launch, they will call ahead with your choice of rum or fruit punch, which will be served to you as you disembark from the launch at Scrub Island. Welcome to Paradise!
Learn to Sail at Scrub Island
If you are just learning to sail or want to improve or renew your sailing skills, our Learn to Sail course, taught on our award-winning Colgate 26 sailboats, is available at this fine resort with two schedule options:
- Five half-days – Arrive Sunday, depart the following Saturday, morning and afternoon sessions alternate throughout the week so you can enjoy other activities at the resort and surrounding islands when not immersed in the Learn to Sail course
- Three full-days – Arrive Friday, depart Tuesday, to Learn to Sail in a fast-spaced curriculum, then add a few more days to just kick back and play in the BVI
If you already know how to sail and like the idea of racing daysailers, our Performance Sailing course is offered on the same schedule and same class boats as the Learn to Sail course above – a great way for couples and family members with different sailing experience to enjoy a learning vacation together. Some can take the Learn to Sail course, others the Performance Sailing course and share free time.
Earn Bareboat Cruising Certification at Scrub Island
For the first time ever in the British Virgin Islands, you can now take our five-day Bareboat Cruising Preparation course on popular 41'-46' cruising boats provided by The Moorings, with accommodations ashore at Scrub Island Resort, rather than living aboard throughout the course.
At this exclusive Offshore Sailing School venue, your schedule includes a combination of half-days and full-days on the water, to give you the real bareboat cruising experience and free time to enjoy your stay at the resort.
Plan to arrive Sunday, settle into your beautiful room at Scrub Island and relax! Monday morning your instructor will meet you at the resort and escort you by launch and taxi to The Moorings base.
You'll start your Bareboat Cruising Preparation course at 10 a.m. Monday with a two-hour classroom session that also includes a chart briefing and overview of what it's like to charter. After this intriguing introduction to the cruising lifestyle, and a break for lunch ashore, you'll set sail at 1 p.m., on a four-hour training program en route to Scrub Island, arriving back at the resort around 5 p.m. Throughout this first of several rewarding passages, you'll learn the nuances of handling a big yacht under power and sail.
Tuesday and Wednesday, from 8 a.m. to noon, you are immersed in classroom and on-water training and drills, leaving the afternoon free to enjoy resort activities. Thursday and Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., you'll enjoy two glorious days of destination sailing while building your bareboat cruising skills, with a lunch stop ashore or aboard for snorkeling and swimming midday.
During your sail Friday you'll have time to take your certification tests, proof of how much you learned and how confident and ready you are to bareboat charter on your own!
Combine Learn to Sail and Bareboat Cruising in one Fast Track to Cruising Course
If you want to get your bareboat cruising certification at the same time, Offshore Sailing School's exclusive Fast Track to Cruising course starts you off with two days of the Learn to Sail course on Saturday and Sunday and then segues straight into the Bareboat Cruising Course starting Monday morning. What a thrill to earn three certifications in just eight days! And then you're ready to start chartering in familiar cruising grounds on your own with The Moorings!
Maximum of Four Learn to Together in Any Course
While some schools in the BVI put 6 or more couples and singles aboard in their courses, Offshore Sailing School never teaches more than four per boat and instructor, unless you are opting for the Kids & Teens Learn Free program.
Take Advantage of our "Island Escape" Package at Scrub Island Resort
This deluxe, all-inclusive sailing vacation combines our Fast Track to Cruising Live Aboard Course with a vacation in the middle! The first 3 days of this 16-night adventure begins with our Learn to Sail course, then relax for a week at this world-class resort and enjoy superior amenities using your $150 resort credit per adult. Rested and ready, you'll board your Moorings yacht for a 6-night Live Aboard course, exploring Caribean islands, cays and quaint villages. Call our professional Sailing Advisors for details and pricing, 888-454-7015.
The Scrub Island Experience - Relaxing Atmosphere and Outstanding Hospitality!
The resort's 50 Ocean View Guest Rooms and Suites provide amazing sunsets and vistas, overlooking the marina, cascading pools, nearby islands and cruising areas. In addition, should you want to escape to a secluded area of the island, if you are bringing your family and want more room, there are 2,3 and 4-bedroom villas nestled on tranquil hillsides with private pools and endless views of the Caribbean and surrounding islands.
Delectable Dining Options
The Caravela Restaurant offers resort-casual, fine dining on continental classics with a Caribbean twist and its Caravela Bar serves tempting cocktails inside or outside with spectacular views. Tierra! Tierra! is a casual outdoor restaurant overlooking the marina. One Shoe Beach Bar & Grill is a barefoot treat on rustic North Beach. Gourmet Market & Cafe serves up early morning coffee and pastries and deli specialties for lunch. For fun libations, the Freebooter's Bar is on the lower level of the resort pool and the Infinity Pool Bar is the quintessential swim-up experience!
Your vacation wouldn't be complete without a relaxing massage overlooking the water. The Ixora Spa is the best you'll find, with a full menu of treatments and massages for face and body in three private spa treatment suites. The spa's unparalleled relaxing atmosphere is in 3000 square feet with relaxation areas, private showers and baths, and an infinity pool.
The 24-hour fitness center is at the corner of marina walk. Completely opportunities. Open 24-hours a day, the center has a full complement of exercise equipment, showers and changing areas.
Other Activities and Recreation
- Lagoon-style multi-tiered pool with waterfalls and hot tub
- Secluded pool, hot tub and cafe on private, rustic North Beach
- Dive shop
- Boat rentals
- Fishing excursions
- Complimentary sea kayaks and paddleboards off the resort's beach
- Nature hikes on resort trails
- Complimentary snorkeling and swimming in the sea
- Chaise lounge chairs and secluded relaxation areas
- Marina Village with a lovely Antilia boutique caring clothing, accessories and gift items
Book Your Sailing Vacation Today!
Call 888-454-7015 and talk to one of our friendly sailing advisors!
Package rates include:
- Accommodations ashore overlooking the ocean
- Comprehensive textbook sent in advance to study (Fast Track to Sailing for Learn to Sail courses, Fast Track to Cruising for the Fast Track to Cruising and Bareboat Cruising Preparation courses, Performance Sailing and Racing for Performance Sailing courses), all written by Steve and Doris Colgate, published by McGraw-Hill
- Launch service to and from Scrub Island, taxi from airport to Scrub Island launch
- Taxi to Moorings base if taking cruising course
- BVI occupancy tax and Scrub Island resort fee (currently 17%)
- Commemorative 50th Anniversary Offshore Sailing School cap for courses completed in 2014
- Diploma and logbook
Please contact us for current package rates at 800-221-4326:
- Rates will be quoted on a per person basis, for accommodations in an Ocean View Guest Room, maximum occupancy 2
- Parties of 3 up to 10 – ask for package rates for one and two-bedroom Ocean View Suites and two, three and four bedroom Ocean View Villas (the latter with private pools)
- Arrival night before course starts and departure day after course ends
- Please inquire about extra room nights and upgrades at time of booking